The project “DocuSpeech against Hate Speech” (training course and seminar) on promotion of human rights education through the documentary movies is made by the youth workers. We chose the film-making as a strategic tool for the youth workers as more and more in the education of young people are being used media tools to decrease intolerance/hate speech. Film and especially documentary films help us expand our world, introducing us to values, struggles, innovations, and beliefs beyond our daily experience. Today, the short form documentary has filled a key role in both formal education and non-formal education.
One of the strategies that youth workers/educators use short documentary films in a meaningful and compelling way for young people is building social and emotional awareness on issues of intolerance and discrimination. Meanwhile, despite of existence of the legislative background of protection of minorities, still there is evidence of growing cases of intolerance and discrimination within European society, sometimes even tolerated by the governments, a sad reality highlighted in reports of local/international organisations. Many of the hate speech/intolerance cases reported over the Europe are taking place on the Internet. This means that especially young people are being targeted as main users of the internet.
Our aim is to use the same tool but to promote tolerance instead of hate. The project can become a step-in creation of the tools to decrease the level of aggression and intolerance through the civil society organizations/youth workers not only in the involved countries but also out of boarders of them as the video outcomes of the project will be promoted by all involved organizations.
Accordingly issues and needs we are seeking to address through this project are:
• To decrease the level of aggression and intolerance through the civil society organizations/youth workers;
• To understand the principles of democracy and participation and its influence on young people’s lives;
• To understand deeper the challenges faced by young people in social, cultural, ethnic, religious minority groups;
• To promote the audiovisual tools, with the concept of educational documentary;
• To foster social inclusion especially of the young refugees, young migrants, young people with disabilities and fewer opportunities in general.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
• To develop the competences of the participants to produce educational video materials to use in youth work to combat hate speech;
• To foster social inclusion especially of the young people with disabilities and fewer opportunities in general;
• To develop the competences of youth workers and youth leaders in making films in various formats;
• To develop non-formal framework for film-making as a tool for transformative learning;
• To promote understanding of the principles of democracy and participation and its influence on young people’s lives;
• To create 7-8 audiovisual tools (will be uploaded also on the SALTO toolbox), with the concept of educational documentary;
• To support the field presence of the European Commission in order to promote the values behind the institution.
“DocuSpeech Against Hate Speech” Project is organized by Foreign Students of Luxembourg, co-hosted by Doctor Cinema, financed by the Erasmus+ Programme, Luxembourgish National Agency – Anefore
Below you can see the videos made by the participants of the project.